As many of you who are reading this are UK based, we wanted to ensure that you are prepared for what you might need in the event of a No Deal Brexit, when travelling to Spain.


(1) Valid Passport

 If you are a UK passport holder, the travelling rules for the majority of EU countries will change if the UK leaves the EU with no deal. In that instance, it’s important to note that; 

– Your passport must still be valid for at least six months from your date of arrival. 

– If you renewed your 10-year passport ahead of its expiry date and had extra months added to the new passport’s expiry date, these additional months may not be considered when travelling to EU countries. 


(2) International Drivers Permit 

Every year, 1000s of holiday goers rent cars to travel around our beautiful country. In the event of a no deal scenario, those of you who hold a UK driving license will have to acquire an International Driving Permit to drive in Spain. The permit costs £5.50 to purchase, and you must have the following to hand: 

– Proof of UK Residency 

– UK Driving License 

– ID to Prove You’re 18 or Over 


(3) Health Insurance 

It is not clear yet how a potential No Deal Brexit could impact on the level of care that a UK citizen receives should they fall ill or have an accident. The Spanish Government have said that there will be some contingency measures to provide health assistance to UK clients, but more information is to follow. 

We would recommend that you put in place some private health insurance options if you haven’t done so already. 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post comment