The importance of the town’s maritime activities is apparent in the port area; known as Aduanas de Mar, it boasts a lovely promenade and some excellent fish restaurants where you can enjoy the ‘catch of the day’. The fishing harbour is situated next to a attractive marina full of interesting yachts, a lovely area for a morning or evening stroll.
- The port was used a lot by the Roman empire and is also said to be the oldest port to have been used by the Romans along the coast of Spain.
- The sculptures that you see along the promenade are changed every year.
- As mentioned above, the marina still operates as a fishing port and the fleet of fishermen drop by at least once per day with the fresh catches for the local restaurants and shops. You must visit the market where this fresh fish is also sold.
- Much of the activities associated with Javea’s fiestas take place in this area of the town.
- Lastly, we would highly recommend that you visit the Tourist information centre located within Javea Port to avail of theatrical tours of the port that take place all year round.